Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Last Temptation of G.




I´m sitting in the bar at Valle Nevado ski area a couple hours into the mountains outside of Santiago, Chile. Today is a powder day. There is over a foot of light dry Andean fresh sliding off the rooftops of the couple of hotels that exist up here. I´m absolutely losing my mind. I wrote Doc Kelly, my orthopedic surgeon, a couple of days ago asking permission to ski. I could almost hear her laughing from way down here. Of course she said NO! Very nicely she told me that I should wait for the Colorado ski season. A couple more months of strength training and more time for my bone mass to increase. But I can´t tell you how my heart aches to rip the pow again. Chile is having a stellar season. Tons of snow. And with today´s dump, it looks especially good out there.

I had a decent time exploring Santiago´s main plaza last night. I ended up hanging out with a guy from New York, that I met at my hostel. Pretty low key evening, which I really needed. I got to get my feet wet with the Chilean subway system. I´m starting to get the hang of the whole Subte thing. It is a really fast and inexpensive way to access the city.

If Argentina is all about tasty steaks, this place is all about seafood. I´ve been devouring awesome seafood. I splurged yesterday for lunch and ate at the four star hotel´s restaurant. There was guy playing piano and I had three waiters waiting on me. I dropped 35 bucks on a meal that would have easily cost a hundred in the states.

So like I said I´m up in the mountains. I met up with my friends from Cali that I met in Buenos Aires, Brendan and Zach. They snuck me in the hotel so I could just crash here with them on the futon in their room, which is really awesome of them. The hotels aren´t Vail expensive up here but they are expensive enough that I probably wouldn´t be here without the hookup. Thanks guys.

The drive up here was hairy due to the storm. Basically it is about a one and a half lane road that switchbacks up the mountainside. No mag chloride, no sand. Just sketchy. But it is great to be up here and out of the rain of Santiago. I´m going to go get a nap and get ready to party aprés ski stylie in the Chilean Andes. Much love to you all.

-g.

2 comments:

BAMA said...

Dude let us know if oyu are Ok...?

Looks like you may still be in the mountains of CHile... lucky.

-g. said...

Luckier if I could ski... but yeah it is pretty here. it´ll be great to see you when i get home.
laters.
g.